Thank you to all sponsors and fans for your support and encouragement. Without you, not only would Evening Star Kennel been absent from the 2010 Yukon Quest, but this incredible sport and these wonderful dogs would become a thing of distant memory. I thank you from the bottom of my heart and I hope that you have enjoyed following this amazing event.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Athletes: Herbert

Herbert came from my "big brother" and his wife, Warren and Kate Palfrey. Warren and I ran our first Iditarod together in 2006 and I always look forward to the few precious visits we get. Herbert was one of the first pups Warren and Kate raised from Doug Swingley's Filbert after she moved up to Yellowknife, NWT to join them.

I got Herbert last year when he was just 18 months old. He is always a goofy boy and makes me laugh almost everytime I see him. I was a superstar in my Siskiyou team this year and was solid start to finish.

Herbert can be a picky eater and is hard to keep enough weight on, but he makes up for these by being the hardest worker in the team. When I take him to the line at hook up, I always have to remember who it is I am handling as he will jerk my shoulder out of socket in his excitement if I get lackadaisical in my approach. He loves his job and doesn't hesitate to chastize the dog next to him for being a slacker.

Herbert is a handsome boy and is all muscle. I expect him to continue improving as he grows up. Watch out for him in lead next year. When he decides to go, he speeds up the whole team.

No comments:

Post a Comment