Thank you to all sponsors and fans for your support and encouragement. Without you, not only would Evening Star Kennel been absent from the 2010 Yukon Quest, but this incredible sport and these wonderful dogs would become a thing of distant memory. I thank you from the bottom of my heart and I hope that you have enjoyed following this amazing event.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

10 days and counting...


For frostbite prevention, this is about all the skin I will be showing for the nearly 2 weeks that I will be running my 1000 mile journey from Fairbanks to Whitehorse.  I had some minor frostbite on my cheeks when I ran Iditarod in 2006 and I can feel it wanting to come back with minimal exposure.

The temperature here has not been so cold as it might be during the race.  I has been only down to about -10 or -15 degrees these last couple of days.  That is cold enough for me and my dogs to feel it though.  I have been wearing all my cold weather gear and have been almost too warm.  Except my feet.  I have to say, I am hugely disappointed in my Cabela's boots.  I am going to have to try to figure out something else in the next couple of days to keep my feet from getting frostbite if it gets colder.  I am going to town tomorrow to run errands and am going to look at other options for footwear.


We went for another run on the river today.  The navigation on the glare ice was not so smooth as it was yesterday.  Whitney did not like the ice one bit and we had a bit of a tangle that I could do nothing about as they dragged me toward the shore.  I managed to set my snowhook in a small snow drift and untangle the team and get them pointed mostly in the right direction.  I will get a few more river runs in before we start on February 6th, so hopefully the leaders will get more comfortable with the ice. 


My camera was working today and I got lots of pictures of the long shadows at high noon, fish camps and fish wheels on the river side, and, of course, dog butts.  I wanted to get a picture of the glare ice to share, but I had to have both hands on the sled and would have liked at third to help hold on.  The snow is a bit skimpy everywhere this year and should make for an interesting trip.  Vet check on Saturday, bib draw and start banquet Wednesday, meetings all day Thursday, and out into the wilds on Saturday.

1 comment:

  1. Love that hat!!! Glad to hear things are going well. Let us know if there is anything we can send with Brooke, boot remedy included. Wish we could provide a third hand but for some reason I think that would be against the rules. Wish I was around when you called. Love, Alli

    ReplyDelete