Thank you to all sponsors and fans for your support and encouragement. Without you, not only would Evening Star Kennel been absent from the 2010 Yukon Quest, but this incredible sport and these wonderful dogs would become a thing of distant memory. I thank you from the bottom of my heart and I hope that you have enjoyed following this amazing event.

Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Athletes: Charlotte

Charlotte is another yearling, soon-to-be 2 year old, who ran with us in California at the Siskiyou. She was one of the dogs that I wasn't totally confident about taking. However, she earned herself a spot on the team for next year for her performance in the race. Although she didn't finish, she could have. I made the decision to drop her at the last checkpoint while she was still having fun. She was starting to get sore and having a hard time keeping up on the downhills. She was still pulling her heart out on the ups and flats and never thought of quitting. I have to admit that surprised me a bit.

Charlotte grew up in the puppy pen with Margaret as she came from the Parr's kennel as a little one as well. She was queen of the puppy pen and always had to have her own food dish. She wasn't into sharing even at 10 weeks old. Charlotte is a very quite and mellow dog except during hook-up. Then I get to hear all sorts of noises that I can't believe come from that sweet little dog. Though she loves all people, Charlotte doesn't like the other female dogs very much, especially when they get to go do something she doesn't get to do.

Last summer, Charlotte was one of my best jogging buddies. Due to her quiet nature, she was easy to manage as she sticks close by and is OK with my measly human pace. I expect Charlotte will continue to mature and develop. Hopefully as a two year old, that perfect gait of hers will help her to stay fit and heathly all the way through the Quest.










No comments:

Post a Comment