Thank you to all sponsors and fans for your support and encouragement. Without you, not only would Evening Star Kennel been absent from the 2010 Yukon Quest, but this incredible sport and these wonderful dogs would become a thing of distant memory. I thank you from the bottom of my heart and I hope that you have enjoyed following this amazing event.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Athletes: Goon

Goon is "Miss Muscles" and, despite her small stature, she is one heck of a dog. This little girl was just a yearling this year, but she finished in the winning Siskiyou team. She never faltered and finished happy and ready to go some more.

Goon joined Evening Star Kennel last April when she was nine months old. I made a "little roadtrip" to Steamboat Springs, CO to visit my friends Tom and Tami Thurston. (Check out Tom's first Iditarod at http://www.iditarod.com/. Some of Goon's littermates are on Tom's team.) I had a great time seeing where they live with their 30-40 huskies and came home with 5 8-9 month old dogs in the back of my Subaru stationwagon. Goon was the female I picked for myself despite her smaller size. I was sure she was a super athlete and I know her mom and her dad to both be exceptional sled dogs. Goon proved me right.

We had a hard time bonding at first. Goon has always been extrememly confident and she was sure she was the queen of the dog yard. She got in a few scraps that resulted in her respecting the older females but still pushing buttons with her peers. But this all changed once we started fall training. Goon is a hard worker and has taken her uncanny self-confidence and made herself a leader. She proved her athletic abilities and her tough head during the season and Goon isn't going anywhere, except to the 2010 Yukon Quest as one of my leaders.

Keep an eye out for Goon in the future. She's easy to spot with her distinctive spots and goofy grin!

No comments:

Post a Comment