Thank you to all sponsors and fans for your support and encouragement. Without you, not only would Evening Star Kennel been absent from the 2010 Yukon Quest, but this incredible sport and these wonderful dogs would become a thing of distant memory. I thank you from the bottom of my heart and I hope that you have enjoyed following this amazing event.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

8 Hours In Braeburn and ON TO WHITEHORSE!!!

     Have we taken an opportunity on this journey to thank all of you for taking interest in Katie's race?  It seems we haven't - and we really should.  Because without all of the support this endeavor would not have been possible.  Katie hasn't seen the blog since she started in Fairbanks, but we do keep her updated as your comments come in and we let her know that this blogspot has received more than 5,000 hits since its inception.  1200 of those have occured in the last 7 days.  Once again thank you for your kind words and please know you have helped Katie to accomplish her dream.
For all of you folks in the Whitefish area a few of Katie's nearest and dearest want to welcome her home in style.  Please join them for a reception at the Great Northern Brewery on Saturday, Feb. 27th at 7:30 pm.


So, back to the Quest.  The stop in Braeburn is really a wide spot on the highway!  There is a fuel station and a cozy restaurant.  They do have hamburgers the size of the plate as are the cinnamon buns, and the smell of the fresh bread baking was not fair!

     Bart made really good time from Carmacks.  He crossed the highway first - still in daylight.  The next team in - arriving at 6:35 was Jennifer Raffaeli followed by Peter Fleck just before all light faded at 7:02 pm.  (The daylight has increased a great deal since we have been here.)  We enjoyed some videos and kept checking the livetracker...some took naps and some were afraid to go to sleep for fear of not waking in time to welcome the team...the greeters were all on hand when Katie came down the hill and crossed the highway at the last minute of the midnight hour.


  Each team made the best use of their 8 hour layover and did not waste a minute getting back on the trail.  Bart left at 1:35 am as Katie was settling her dogs in for the night.  Peter was able to leave at 3:02 am.  Next out was Jenn Raffaeli at 3:06 am.  Katie was able to leave at the very sensible hour of 9:10 am. 
                                                                                                   And they are off to Whitehorse!!    

 On to Whitehorse our final destination!  Bart wasted no time and arrived to great fanfare at 1:14 pm.
Peter Fleck finished his race at 3:22 by rewarding each of his beloved dogs with a steak!  Jennifer and her team came into view and finished at 4:17 pm.  Congratulations to all!  Now we have to go because Katie is about 20 miles from the finish line and we need to be there!!!  More to follow from Whitehorse...


  1. way to go Ladies...thank you for the awesome blogs keeping us informed.......we have enjoyed being a part of this adventure! Celebrate you all deserve it.....Congrats again did it!!! Bridget (Brooke's sister) and family :)

  2. Congratulations Katie! It has been awsome watching your progress. Your blog has even been followed in Salzburg by your cousin Lisl. we aer so proud of you! Uncle Jim

  3. Congratulations Katie!!!
    So darn proud of you and all your teammates (Diablo and all!!) We're watched in awe at your strenght and determination. Live the dream Katie (and I'll be waiting to read the book!) Again, hearty congratulations!!!!!!
    Love, Joyce