Thank you to all sponsors and fans for your support and encouragement. Without you, not only would Evening Star Kennel been absent from the 2010 Yukon Quest, but this incredible sport and these wonderful dogs would become a thing of distant memory. I thank you from the bottom of my heart and I hope that you have enjoyed following this amazing event.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Bittersweet End to the Adventure

I find myself at a loss for words to describe the experience of the last 2 weeks, 2 months and year.  We made it to the finishline and now all that I have worked so hard for and planned for is done.  I thought perhaps this trip would shed some light on what happens next.  But I find that instead of finding clarity of thought, everything has become more blurred.  Maybe that is just the sleep deprivation.

The dogs did an incredible job and there is something changed in them now, especially the younger dogs.  They know they have done something.  They aren't just your average dogs anymore (if they ever were).  They are Quest veterans and have traveled 1000 miles over rugged terrain.  12 of 14 starting dogs finished the whole race.  Boggle was dropped in Dawson as he just wasn't having fun anymore.  Miss Cleo stayed there as well.  The whole team had had a bit of an intestinal bug that Cleo just couldn't seem to shake.  Brooke and Anita took great care of her and she was back to herself in 24 hours. 

We saw some beautiful scenery but spent a lot of time in the dark wishing for a full moon.  The Northern Lights were spectacular and at times seemingly touchable.  I traveled a lot of the first half with Bart De Marie and Peter Fleck.  We had a lot of fun on the trail and in checkpoints.  Going out of Eagle toward Dawson City, we got spread out and I traveled most of the second half by myself just seeing the boys and Jennifer Raffaeli at the occassional checkpoint.

I am having technical difficulties adding pictures and now am heading out the door for the rest of the adventure: 4 days in the truck to finally return home.  I will work on some stories to tell and hopefully be able to make a post en route or as soon as we return home.  Thank you to all you sponsors, supporters, followers, friends, family, Brooke and Anita for believing in me and offering you support in so many ways.

2 comments:

  1. I suspect the clarity you seek will come after rest and returning home, but perhaps a greater longing has been awakened - longing for the north?

    Congratulations on a job well done, and bravely so.

    Linda Toth
    Fairbanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie,

    We met briefly. I'm Santiago, one of the three Spanish volunteers in Circle City. I've been following closely the race and I'm so happy that you made it to the end with 12 dogs. What an amazing experience. Keep it up. You followed a dream and now you are enjoying reality. Not many people can say that in their lifes. Things will clear up, that's for sure, and more dreams will come and more realities will materialize. That's the flow of life. Enjoy it.

    Santi
    Vancovuer, BC

    ReplyDelete