Thank you to all sponsors and fans for your support and encouragement. Without you, not only would Evening Star Kennel been absent from the 2010 Yukon Quest, but this incredible sport and these wonderful dogs would become a thing of distant memory. I thank you from the bottom of my heart and I hope that you have enjoyed following this amazing event.

Thursday, February 11, 2010

yukon quest adventure!

     It looks to be another gorgeous day in the Klondike...We (Brooke and I) are currently in Dawson City in a beautiful bed and breakfast enjoying hot coffee, equally hot showers and a wonderful warm bed.  I have to say though it has not been too rough sleeping in the truck as Katie prepared it with comfort in mind.  She travelled solo with the sixteen dogs over 2300 miles and it was their rolling hotel the entire trip... 
     The hospitality we are experiencing along our journey is unbelievable.  These folks at the checkpoints and in the towns along the trail are fantastic and so enthusiastic.  The community of mushers is also very impressive.  It is truly an international event as the musher profiles illustrate.  All the handlers and other support staff are interesting and engaging and it is my good fortune to be a part of this.
     The Alcan highway lives up to its reputation.  It was quite a haul from Circle around to Destruction Bay (first leg) and then on Wednesday we arrived here in Dawson about 7:30 pm.  Brooke has done most of the driving...I may have lost points on my driving abilities because of a 'minor' mishap on the Alcan...I lost the right hand trailer tire. Completely.  Flattened the rim.  We pulled into the closed gas station/hotel parking lot and assessed the situation - suddenly two other dog trucks whipped in...three wonderful men jumped out finished jacking the trailer, changed the tire (laughed alot) dropped the trailer off the jack like a NASCAR pit crew! Then they were gone- trucking on down the highway!  Bonus!  Thanks Clinton and friends!!!
     Now.  About Katie and the race!  The team left Circle at 1:35 am Tuesday morning.  They arrived at their next rest at Slaven's cabin at 10:18 am.  From there they headed out at 8:15 pm.  The website indicates the arrival at the Eagle checkpiont was just before 5 pm on Wednesday.  We were following the race on the radio about this time and heard that Hans Gatt was on the river close to Dawson City...His was the first team to arrive at 6:02 pm Wednesday and they will receive 4 ounces of gold for this feat.  While we were picking up Katie's supplies for the next HALF of the race, I saw Lance Mackey arrive at 8:49 pm and also had the luck to see the third team to arrive - Hugh Neff at 9:04 pm. 
     We at this point are following Katie through the live tracking on the website.  We have a greater responsibility here...this is the only point in the race that we can provide hands on support.  It is not allowed at any other time.  We will set up the camp and have warm water going and enable Katie and her team to rest as completely and comfortably and quickly as possible.  This is a mandatory reststop of 36 hours for all teams.
     We see that Katie left Eagle at 4:11 this (Thursday) morning.  Two other teams/handlers that we have been enjoying time with: that of Bart De Marie left Eagle at 1:18 am and the young Brit; Peter Fleck followed Katie by a few minutes at 4:14 am.  We expect our team to arrive late this evening  - maybe early Friday just depends on the conditions and how Katie feels the dogs are handling them. 
     Sometimes this is very challenging for us - we have an idea of her run/rest schedule, sometimes she may be three hours ahead of her plan or maybe six hours behind...Ah!  That's racing, just gotta be able to roll with it!   As we are internet connected for the next few days we will try to update a bit more often...Later!


  1. It is really cool to watch the "video" of the racers! Mush on!


  2. Thanks for the updates. Will be anxious to hear some stories of the trail conditions... ;-)