Thank you to all sponsors and fans for your support and encouragement. Without you, not only would Evening Star Kennel been absent from the 2010 Yukon Quest, but this incredible sport and these wonderful dogs would become a thing of distant memory. I thank you from the bottom of my heart and I hope that you have enjoyed following this amazing event.

Monday, February 8, 2010

Central update


Katie arrived around 8:30p.m. Sunday.  Her trail report was that Eagle Summit was not as bad as she had anticipated.  She actually said that Rose Bud was worse.  She finished her work with her dogs around 9:30p.m. and came into the Steese Road House for a Prime Rib dinner.  We ate together and then she went to a warm cabin to sleep for about five hours. I went to join Annita in the truck to sleep.  We woke around 4:30a.m. Monday and found Katie getting ready.  She was eating cheesecake and pumpkin pie with a cup of hot chocolate for breakfast. Once she was finished her meal she went to bootie the dogs and get them ready to run.
The dogs were bedded down on straw in groups of four. I watched Katie work with each dog.  She put booties on all four feet while they were still laying down taking advantage of every minute of rest possible.  Once all booties were on she moved Shilo out of lead and put Sneezy up front with Whitney.  Katie walked down the line back to her sled patting all the dogs on their heads.  Lighting was the first to start screaming to go and the enthusiasum spread to the rest of the dogs.  Katie got back to her runners pulled the hook and I helped lead her team out of their parking spot to the trail.  Once to the trail I stepped a side and watched as Katie and her fourteen furry friends disappear down the dark trail. She left the checkpoint at 6:30a.m. Monday.

Now we are at the Circle City checkpoint.  Temperatures are favorable, there is a light snow and now we wait for Katie.  She should be in around 6p.m. or so. 

2 comments:

  1. I knew this was going to be interesting, but.......the only word I keep coming up with is WOW.Katie has got to love this life very much no doubt. I'm learn something new each time I check for updates.I am thinking it's Katie's mother giving the updates, and she is doing a great job. I love how she gives a play by play about the dogs.I can't figure out how she got the name Anita Margarita.Too cute.We hope Nina's having fun and you all are staying warm.I'm impressed already.I am not lazy but this is a lot of work.I will be back.
    Andrea Avery & Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!!! go katy and the furries

    ReplyDelete